Serum, moisturizer, toner….these words pop-up way too often when talking “skin care” but what is the role of each of these products and how to use serum properly? If you have no clue which is the right answer to this question, do not worry, you are not the only one.
Taking care of your skin should be anything but a stressful task and this is where Looca Beauty jumps in to provide you the right answers.
What is a serum?Serum is a lightweight skin care product able to penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin to deliver the active ingredients directly to the skin’s cells.
Due to the high concentration of ingredients, serum is the ideal remedy for specific skin care concerns such as fine lines and wrinkles. The regular usage of serum can definitely give your skin a firmer and smoother texture and it will reduce the size of the pores.
Among all skin care products, the serums contain the most potent dose of anti-aging ingredients so make sure you look for the following benefic ingredients in the composition of your chosen product:
- antioxidants such as pomegranate extract, Vitamin C or grape seeds extract will protect your skin against the damaging effects of sunlight, which is the main cause of ‘aging skin’ and of the fine lines.
- anti-inflammatories ingredients such as the aloe vera contained by the Looca Beauty Facial Serum neutralize redness and prevents inflammatory cell damage. Note: If you have a sensitive skin it’s recommended to wait for around 10-15 minutes after cleansing and before applying the serum.
hydration ingredients such as amino acids and essential fatty acids will form a protective layer between your skin and the outside environment. The hyaluronic acid contained by the Looca Beauty Facial Serum will deliver a smooth moisturizing effect to your skin.
How to use serum?
The molecules in serum’s composition are quickly absorbed by the skin. Using only a small quantity (a few drops) should be sufficient for your skin. Apply the serum on the dry, cool skin to insure a proper absorption and to avoid any irritation.
The ideal skin-care routine should include the following steps:
- After cleansing and toning your face, apply a small quantity of serum and pat it gently all over the face with your fingers to help the absorbing process. Wait for around 5 minutes to allow the skin to absorb the ingredients. Note: If you have a sensitive skin it’s recommended to wait for around 10-15 minutes after cleansing and before applying the serum.
- Once the serum is absorbed you can apply your favorite moisturizer. Looca Beauty has the perfect skin moisturizer that you will be able to buy very soon on our website.
Where to apply serum?
Using a pea-size amount of the serum, gently apply it on your face and on your neck. Insist on the areas which tend to form wrinkles or fine lines (such as forehead, around your mouth or your neck). Looca Beauty recommends to gently massage and tap the skin to ease the absorption of the serum by your skin.
How often to use the serum?
There is no right answer to this question but we recommend reading the instruction on the product you are using. Most of the time one single application of the serum should be enough to see some improvements after a couple of weeks. Taking into account that serum is the richest cosmetic product there is on the market at the moment, Looca Beauty experts advise on using the serum at least once per day, for instance during your evening skin care routine.
What is the difference between serum and a moisturizer?
Although it is common for serum to contain moisturizer ingredients such as ceramides or hyaluronic acids, they can’t replace the role of moisturizing skin care products.
The moisturizer products build a protective layer between the skin and the outside environment meant to keep the active ingredients close to your skin while also preventing water evaporation and therefore dehydration. The serums contain no emollients, which means there is nothing to interfere with the concentrated ingredients as they reach the skin.
Long story short, serums do not contain occlusive or airtight moisturizing ingredients such as petrolatum or mineral oils which actually prevent water from evaporating. In fact, most serums are water-based, eliminating therefore all kind of oils from their composition. So, for in order to be effective, we recommend using the serum after cleansing and toning, but before moisturizing, so that the active ingredients are locked in through the ingredients contained in the moisturizer.
Can serum replace moisturizer?
The answer is NO, a serum can’t replace the role of a moisturizer and the two products should be used in combination. Serum delivers a vitamin shot to the skin therefore it is recommended to use it in combination with another moisturizing product.
Which is the correct order of applying the toner, the serum and the moisturizer?
Serum is a product which has to be applied right after cleansing and before applying the moisturizer. To sum this up, let’s imagine your skin routine in 3 easy steps:
STEP 1: Cleanse & tone
STEP 2: Apply facial serum
STEP 3: Moisturize
- chose the serum that fits your skin’s needs.
- If you are acne-prone, look for ingredients such as vitamin C and anti-oxidants
- if your skin is rather dry, look for ingredients such as vitamin E, hyaluronic acid which retains the moisture
- the most expensive serum is not always the best, just like the cheapest is not always the worst. We recommend striking for a price-quality balance, while keeping in mind the whole concept behind a product: skin type is addresses, ingredients, container, overall beauty experience.
- if you have an oily skin, serums are the best product that you can use due to their non-greasy finish and because they do not leave behind a sticky residue.
- Serums are very concentrated so be careful not to apply to much as this might irritate the skin. Less is more reapply applies in this case.
- If you have a skin conditions such as eczema or rosacea consult a specialist before choosing your cosmetic products, in order to avoid harmful consequences for your skin.
We hope we managed to shed some light over this complicated world of skin care products. To sum it up, serums are powerful water-based products with potent ingredients that identify and target your skin problems. They should be applied daily, after cleansing and toning and before moisturizing. Serums and moisturizers are complementary, therefore, one should not replace the other.
With love for you and for the planet,
Looca Beauty Team